Caught Shoplifting in Cherry Hill NJ?
Were you arrested in Cherry Hill and charged with theft, shoplifting, receipt of stolen property or resisting arrest? Were you stopped by store security and forced to sign a document admitting that you attempted to shoplift and agree not to return? Did you receive a letter from an attorney from the store demanding a civil penalty of $150.00? These are just a few of the common scenarios our clients find themselves in before they contact our office for help in their criminal case. Shoplifting is a criminal offense that carries serious penalties and can result in an arrest record and criminal conviction. If you are found guilty of shoplifting, you could be sentenced to a term of incarceration, fines, probation and community service. Contact criminal a defense attorney if you or a family member have been arrested and charged with shoplifting, theft, fraud or any other criminal offense in Camden County, New Jersey. We can be reached 24/7 by calling 609-832-3202.
Explanation of Shoplifting Charges in Camden County NJ
In Camden County and throughout New Jersey, shoplifting charges are filed under N.J.S.A. 2C:20. Based on this statute, you will be found guilty of shoplifting if you committed any of the following acts:
- Removed, without purchasing, an item from a place of business;
- Concealed an item with the intent to steal that item.
- Amended, changed, or transformed a price tag or a package with the intent to steal.
Can I Go to Jail for Shoplifting in Cherry Hill?
Similar to other theft-related crimes, the severity of possible penalties for shoplifting will vary depending on the value of items involved. Specifically:
- If the items are valued below $200.00, it will be treated as a disorderly persons offense at the local municipal court;
- If the items are valued between $200.00 and $500.00, it will be treated as a Fourth Degree Offense and handled by the Camden County Superior Court;
- If the items are valued between $500.00 and $75,000.00, it will be treated as a Third Degree Offense and handled by the Camden County Superior Court; and
- If the items are valued above $75,000.00 and $500.00, it will be treated as a Second Degree Offense and handled by the Camden County Superior Court.
Each of these offenses carries a possible period of incarceration in the Camden County Jail or a State Prison. Contact our office for more information on the length of likelihood of imprisonment regarding your case.
Can Shoplifting Charges Affect My Citizenship?
Shoplifting, like other theft crimes is typically considered a crime of moral turpitude. If you are here are a temporary resident, student visa, work visa or any other form of temporary status, you need to be careful how you resolve any criminal charges involving theft or shopfitting. A guilty conviction could result in your immediate and permanent removal from the United States.
Criminal Lawyers in Cherry Hill for Shoplifting Charges
Whether you are a looking for representation for yourself, your spouse or your juvenile child, please do not hesitate to contact our office to discuss how we can assist you with you pending charges involving shoplifting, theft, fraud, criminal mischief, burglary, robbery or even aggravated assault. Firm Partner, William C. Fay, IV, is a former Deputy Attorney General for the State of New Jersey. Allow Mr. Fay to put his experience and knowledge to work for you or your loved ones in your case. Whether you were arrested at the Cherry Hill Mall, Ellisburg Circle Shopping Center or Garden State Pavilions, our firm can help. For an immediate and complimentary telephone consultation, please contact our office at (609) 832-3202.